Stony Hill Vineyards
Fred and Eleanor McCrea first stumbled across the property that would become Stony Hill Vineyard in the early 1940s. By 1943, they had made the rugged hillside spot on Spring Mountain their home. Fred and Eleanor loved the white wines of Burgundy, and while they would have planted the entire property to Chardonnay, viticulture advisors from the University of California recommended they diversify. The first harvest came in 1952, Fred made the wine and Eleanor ran the business. Fred’s assistant and protégé, Mike Chelini, took over in 1977 and has now been a steady hand at Stony Hill for over 40 years. The business has passed to son Peter and granddaughter Sarah – they are committed to maintaining Stony Hill’s reputation for wines of impeccable quality and longevity.